Long term assistance

The possibility of integration and longer-term assistance depends on the type of residence permit a person holds. A victim who does not make a statement in criminal proceedings in most cases will be required to leave the country immediately or after expiry of the reflection and stabilization period (in practice a maximum of three months, but sometimes up to six months). If a victim appears as a witness in court, his or her residence permit normally ends when the criminal proceedings are terminated or suspended. A counselling centre may offer more possibilities for integration/social inclusion to people who have a status in Germany granted under the asylum legislation.